"Covers Dixie Like the Dew"

A History of Newspaper Journalism in Georgia

The Beginnings of a Statewide Press

New titles appeared as Georgia's capital moved across the state. In 1785 the state officially moved the seat of government from Savannah to Augusta. During this period, several newspapers appeared in the new capital. The first of these was the Augusta Gazette, which began circulation in August of that same year. The modern-day Augusta Chronicle traces its roots to the publication, making it the oldest newspaper in Georgia still in print. A second newspaper, the Southern Centinel, and Universal Gazette, began publication in 1793, making Augusta the first city in Georgia with multiple newspapers in print. Two more newspapers appeared in Savannah that same decade, while the State Gazette and Louisville Journal began publication in the state’s newly appointed capital, Louisville, in 1798. By the turn of the eighteenth century, there were five newspapers in print in Georgia, and by 1812, there were at least twenty.[3] Much of that growth came in smaller cities and towns, including Athens, Milledgeville, Washington, and Sparta. Some of these newer publications took on a more partisan tone than their predecessors, reflecting the rise of political parties in the United States in the late eighteenth century.